|AKA||Mini Gadget (briefly by Dr. Claw in Inspector Gadget 2)|
|Family||Inspector Gadget (uncle)|
|Location|| Metro City|
Riverton, Ohio (in the live-action films)
|Portrayed By|| Michelle Trachtenberg (1999 film)|
Caitlin Wachs (2003 sequel)
- "I feel like I've stepped in to a time machine, but I can't find anything that links them with M.A.D."
- ―Penny investigating the phony pirates[src]
Penny usually helps Gadget with his missions, but it is Gadget who ends up getting all the credit in the end.
Penny likes to help Gadget out with his missions, despite him always getting the credit afterwards.
In Inspector Gadget 2, Penny wants to be given a chance by her uncle to become a fellow detective and come with him on his missions, but he would never let her as she is too young. However, at the end of the film, she is awarded a medal by Gadget for being a junior detective.
Penny is Inspector Gadget's niece and she secretly solves his cases for him. Penny loves her uncle very much and it is not explained if she has any other family members in the TV series, but Gadget seems to be the only family she has got.
Penny foils Dr. Claw's plans, leaving Gadget to get all of the credit for doing so, even though he didn't do anything at all. Penny often snoops around M.A.D.'s hideout to find out what they are planning; however, she normally ends up getting caught by Claw's henchmen and she either escapes by herself or calls her loyal pet dog Brain to rescue her.
She is right-handed, very intelligent, and capable of hacking into almost any computer-based system.
Penny has blonde hair worn in 2 ponytails and she has green eyes. She wears a red short-sleeved T-shirt with a thick white stripe in the middle of her torso with olive green trousers with knee patches, followed by red and pink trainers. For swimsuit Penny wears a tiny red bikini or a tiny blue bikini.
In the first live-action movie, Penny's outfit changed which each day, though throughout, she was a brunette. This glaring error criticized by fans was fixed in the second movie.
- Penny: Uncle Gadget! This might be a trap.
- Gadget: I'm thinking that this might be a trap.
- Penny: That's what I just said.
Penny warning her Uncle Gadget of suspicious activity at the Science Fair.
- Penny's last name is unknown. While Inspector Gadget's last name is Brown in the live-action film, the animated series strongly implies that Gadget is his real last name. While one can assume Penny's last name is Brown or Gadget, she frequently calls him "Uncle Gadget," suggesting that Gadget may be her maternal uncle or that he had his gadgets before Penny was born or before she met him.
- Penny's age throughout the animated series is 10 years old. She is 12 years old in Gadget and the Gadgetinis and is 16 years old in Inspector Gadget's Biggest Caper Ever.
- Her eye color in the animated series is sometimes green and sometimes blue, which can be quite confusing.