Uncle George (by Billy)
Your Clawfulness (by his henchmen in Inspector Gadget 2)
|Occupation|| Leader of M.A.D.|
|Family||Maryland Claw Mother Dr Thaw Twin Brother Billy Thaw Nephew|
|Location|| Metro City|
Riverton, Ohio (in the live-action films)
|Portrayed By|| Rupert Everett (1999 film)|
Tony Martin (2003 sequel)
Sanford Scolex (George Claw in Gadget and the Gadgetinis), better known as Dr. Claw or simply Claw, is the main antagonist of Inspector Gadget. He is the leader of M.A.D., a criminal genius, a mad scientist, a multimillionaire, Gadget's arch-nemesis, the M.A.D. agents' boss, and M.A.D. Cat's owner.
Claw always sends his group of agents after Gadget to eliminate him, only for his plan to backfire when his men get arrested. This soon drives him to hiring new agents in each episode.
Personality"Inspector Gadget is always on duty!"
Claw gives orders from his main headquarters or base of operation to stop Gadget, only for his plans to backfire in the end.
Though his face is never shown, evidence suggests that he has the appearance of a mad scientist. Despite sitting down in an executive chair for most of the series, it is clear that he possesses an intimidating physical stature (as others are usually shown cowering when he stands). As revealed in the first live-action film, he lost his left hand in a accident, giving him a mechanical claw.
There were only 6 instances where his face was visible:
- On his action figure in the 1992 Inspector Gadget toyline (the packaging had his face hidden by a sticker).
- In the first live-action film (it was partially hidden in the sequel).
- In the SNES game where he is fought as the final boss.
- In the Gadget and the Gadgetinis episode "The Weather Machine," the viewers get to see a closeup of his face while he wakes up from his nap. This version of Claw has a muscular body and a square-shaped head. His face is usually hidden in shadow with only his glowing yellow eyes visible, but in "The Weather Machine," the outlines of his nose and mouth are visible.
- In the PAL region-only PlayStation 2 game Inspector Gadget: Mad Robots Invasion, Claw's face can be seen very briefly in the opening cutscene.
- In the iPhone game Inspector Gadget's M.A.D Dash as an unlockable puzzle. It has the appearance of the face used for the action figure and video game.
Throughout the entire series, Claw is an unseen character, only just his arms and gloved hands are visible, leaving the viewer to guess as to his face and body. He is usually at a computer terminal where he monitors his various schemes, often in a creepy old castle. Although he's aware of Gadget's idiocy, he believes the Inspector to be his greatest enemy, never fully realizing that it is actually Penny and Brain who foil his plots in each episode (although he or his M.A.D. agents have captured Penny and sometimes Brain a number of times). He is always seen with his fat pet cat M.A.D. Cat, who reaps the benefits of his brief victories and bears the brunt of his defeats. Claw's catchphrase at the end of every episode is, "I'll get you next time, Gadget! NEXT TIME!!!".