Uncle George (by his Nephew Billy Thaw)
Your Clawfulness (by his henchmen in Inspector Gadget 2)
|Occupation|| Leader of M.A.D.|
|Family||Mother Dr Thaw Twin Brother Billy Thaw Nephew|
|Location|| Metro City|
Riverton, Ohio (in the live-action films)
|Portrayed By|| Frank welker(Voice)|
Rupert Everett (1999 film)
Tony Martin (2003 sequel)
George Claw (Sanford Scolex in Inspector Gadget (film)), better known as Dr. Claw or simply Claw, is the main antagonist of Inspector Gadget. He is the leader of M.A.D., a dumb person Gadget's arch-nemesis, the M.A.D. agents' boss, and M.A.D. Cat's owner.
Claw always sends his group of evil agents after Gadget to eliminate him, only for his plan to backfire when his men always get arrested. This soon drives him mad to hiring new agents in each episode.
Personality"Inspector Gadget is always on duty!"
Claw gives orders from his main headquarters or base of operation to stop Gadget, only for his plans to backfire in the end.
Though his face is never shown, evidence suggests that he has the appearance of a mad scientist. Despite sitting down in an executive chair for most of the cartoon series, it is clear that he possesses an intimidating physical stature (as others are usually shown cowering when he stands). In the first live-action film, he lost his left hand in a accident, giving him a mechanical claw, which is not part of his character in the original cartoon.
There were only 6 instances where his face was visible:
- On his action figure in the 1992 Inspector Gadget toyline (the packaging had his face hidden by a sticker).
- In the first live-action film (it was partially hidden in the sequel).
- In the Snes game where he is fought as the final boss.
- In the Gadget and the Gadgetinis episode "The Weather Machine," the viewers get to see a closeup of his face while he wakes up from his nap. This version of Claw has a muscular body and a square shaped head. His face is usually hidden in shadow with only his glowing yellow eyes visible, but in "The Weather Machine," the outlines of his nose and mouth are visible.
- In the iPhone game Inspector Gadget's M.A.D Dash as an unlockable puzzle. It has the appearance of the face used for the action figure and video game.
Throughout the entire cartoon series, Claw is an unseen character, only just his arms and gloved hands are visible, leaving the viewer to guess as to his face and body. He is usually at a computer terminal where he monitors his various schemes, often in a creepy old England castle. Although he's aware of Gadget's idiocy, he believes the Inspector to be his greatest enemy, never fully realizing that it is actually Penny and Brain who foil his plans in each episode (although he or his M.A.D. agents have captured Penny and sometimes Brain a number of times). He is always seen with his pet cat M.A.D. Cat, who reaps the benefits of his brief victories and bears the brunt of his defeats. Claw's catchphrase at the end of every episode is, "I'll get you next time, Gadget! NEXT TIME!".
- In the live-action movie, Claw's real name is Sanford Scolex. However, in Gadget and the Gadgetinis, his real name was George Claw.
- Most of the time (excluding the six instances above) Dr.Claw's hand is only shown, which is evidence of his mysteriousness.